What better way to comfort yourselves this autumn than with these delectable dark chocolate brownies. Shall we dig in?
Chocolate Pecan Brownies Ingredients: Serves 6
115g dark chocolate
170g softened butter + some for baking tray + 250g caster sugar + 3 eggs + 75g flour +1/2tsp. baking powder + 1/2 tsp. salt
A few drops of vanilla extrac + 2-3 tbsp. milk +75g pecans, in chunks + 8-10 soft caramels made with fleur de sel.
To serve (optional but recommended) : vanilla or slated butter caramel ice cream.
Rectangular or square cake tin approx. 30cm, greaseproof paper, saucepan, soup plate, whisk.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
1. Grease the cake tin and line it with a strip of greaseproof paper (the bottom and 2 sides to remove it easily), then grease the paper. Place the tray in the freezer.
2. Turn the oven to 160C/gas mark 5.
3. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof dish over a saucepan of simmering water (bain-marie).
4. In a bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and butter into a mousse. Steadily, add the chocolate, then the vanilla, the salt, teh sifted flour, the baking powder and enough milk to soften the dough. Stir in the nuts and pour into the pan. Bake for approx. 25 minutes. Cut the caramels into cubes, spread them over the surface of the cake and cook for a further 20 minutes. The cake must remain moist on the inside but have a nice crust on the outside.
5. If served warm, don't remove from the tray. If served later, leave to cool in the tray and refrugerate for 2 hours before removing because it's so soft and smooth it doesn't take well to cutting! Rest assured, even served cold, you can still indulge in a little ice cream on the side...